The Article Structured Data are essential in order for you to enhance your articles appearance on Google Search. Your articles will have an increased likelihood of appearing in search results with rich result features or appearing in a top stories carousel. Follow the steps below to set them up.
- Navigate to Content > Articles.
- Create a new article or modify an existing one.
- Click the tab Google Structured Data.
- Choose Article right below.
- You'll see a panel named Articles Data which holds the following important input fields that need your attention.
- Headline: The headline of the article. Headlines should not exceed 110 characters. If none used, the default article's title will be used instead.
- Description: Type a short description. If none is provided then the article's text will be used instead
- Rating: Choose the rating you'd like to appear for your article on Google Search. You can choose between 0 and 5.
- Reviews Quantity: Fill with the amount of reviews this article has.
- Click Save & Close.
Joomla! by default supports most of the article structured data in a microdata form if the default article layout hasn't been overriden by a custom template. Although Joomla!'s implementation has certain disadvantages in relation to Google Structured Data Markup.
- Joomla!'s default microdata doesn't support all of the properties recognized by Google.
- The user can not fine-tune the values as they are automatically generated based on the article itself.
- If the article layout has been overriden then there is a good chance that the structured data aren't generated at all.
- Joomla!'s default microdata do not contain the rating property which is of an utmost significant for your Google Search appearance.
It's also important to mention that in the structured data the article's Intro Image is included, if it exists. If it doesn't then it uses the Full Article Image. These images can be set through the Images and Links tab in the same screen. We highly recommend that you go ahead and set at least one of them up.