If you want Google Search to indicate the current page's position in the website's hierarchy then you need to enable the Breadcrumbs functionality. Follow the steps below to see how it's done.
- Navigate to Extensions > Plugins
- Search for System - Google Structured Data Markup and click it
- Click on the Site Data Tab
- You'll see a panel named Breadcrumbs which holds the following important input fields that need your attention.
- Enabled: Self-explanatory. Enable or disable the Site Name functionality.
- Text for Home Entry: This text will be shown as Home entry. If the field is left empty, it will use the default value from the plg_system_gsd_sys.ini language file.
- Continue filling any other values of the other panels that you might recognise and then click Save & Close.
Joomla! by default comes along with a Breadcrumbs module which can, in a way, do the same job but has a few disadvantages in relation to Google Structured Data Markup.
- You have to create and enable the module via the Module Manager.
- You have to assign it to all the pages.
- You have to enabled it for the mobile devices otherwise they aren't parsed properly by Google.
- If the layout of the mobile has been overriden by your template, there's a good chance it isn't constructing its microdata at all.