The Referrer URL Condition gives you the ability to display a box to visitors coming to your Joomla! Website from a specific website or a list of websites by using their domain names as an indicator.
In the table below you can see which options are available to setup the Referrer URL Condition.
|Match||Set whether to match or not the set referrers.|
In this repeater field, you can type in your Referrer URLs or parts of them one by one separating them in new lines.
Or even like this:
Or even a mix of them if you'd like but there's rarely a use case for typing them mixed.
A very common use case for the Referrer URL Condition is when you want to show a box for a user who is coming from an affiliate site or a social network like Facebook. For instance, if the user is somehow coming to your Joomla! Website from Facebook then perhaps you'd like to let him know that you also have a Facebook Page for him to like.
The referrer discovery is not always 100% accurate. It relies on the HTTP_REFERER variable which can be empty due to the following reasons.
- Some browsers limit access to not allow HTTP_REFERER to be passed
- The user entered the site URL in browser address bar itself.
- The user visited the site by a browser-maintained bookmark.
- The user visited the site as first page in the window/tab.
- The user clicked a link in an external application.
- The user switched from a HTTPS URL to a HTTP URL.
- The user has security software installed (Antivirus/Firewall/Browser extension) which strips the referrer from all requests.
- The user is behind a proxy which strips the referrer from all requests.
- The user visited the site programmatically (like, curl) without setting the referrer header.